The University of Tokyo is accepting applications for master’s and doctoral programs funded by the Japanese government. This is a great opportunity to study at one of the top universities in the world.
There is no application fee, and you don’t need to take language tests if you have previously studied at an English language institute. A master’s degree takes two years to complete, while a doctoral degree takes three years.
The Japanese government will pay for all of your living expenses, food, visas, and tuition. You’ll also have the opportunity to live and study in a safe and peaceful environment.
Japan is one of the top ten study destinations in the world, and the University of Tokyo offers a diverse set of academic programs. You’ll be able to learn from world-renowned scholars and researchers.
If you’re interested in applying, please visit the University of Tokyo website for more information. The deadline to apply is October 31, 2023.
|Country||University||Course Level||Financial Coverage|
|Japan||University of Tokyo||Masters & Doctoral (Ph.D.)||Fully Funded|
Duration of the MEXT Scholarship
The duration of the MEXT scholarship depends on the level of study. For a master’s program, it is 2 years, starting from October 2024 to September 2026. For a doctoral program, it is 3 years, starting from October 2024 to September 2027.
|Level of Study||Duration|
|Master’s Program||2 years|
|Doctoral Program||3 years|
What fields can I study under the MEXT scholarship?
The MEXT scholarship allows you to study at the University of Tokyo in a variety of fields, including:
- Earth and Planetary Science
- Biological Sciences
These are just a few of the many fields available. To see a full list, please visit the University of Tokyo website.
What are the financial benefits of the MEXT scholarship?
The MEXT scholarship is a fully-funded scholarship that covers the majority of your expenses, including:
- A monthly allowance of 144,000 yen for master’s students and 145,000 yen for doctoral students.
- Waived enrollment and tuition fees.
- Round-trip air tickets from/to Japan.
In addition, students studying or conducting research in certain designated regions of Japan may be eligible for an additional monthly stipend of 2,000 or 3,000 yen.
Who is eligible for the University of Tokyo Scholarship?
The University of Tokyo Scholarship is open to students from any country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. To be eligible, you must:
- Have been born on or after April 2, 1985.
- Be applying for the field of study that you studied at your previous university or a related field.
- Have a high academic record.
- Meet the language requirements, which are either:
- A score equivalent to B2 or higher on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale in English.
- A score of N2 or higher on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) in Japanese.
- Official academic transcripts: These should be from both your undergraduate and graduate schools, and they should be either original or certified copies.
- Certificate of graduation or provisional certificate: This should be from both your undergraduate and graduate schools, and it should be either an original or a certified copy.
- Abstract of thesis (if completed) or a description of your thesis research in progress: This should be a brief summary of your thesis research if you have completed a thesis, or a description of your current thesis research if you are still working on it.
- Proof of high performance or good achievement record: This could be a letter from your previous school or employer that attests to your academic or professional achievements.
- Recommendation letter: You should get two recommendation letters from professors or other academic professionals who can speak to your academic abilities and potential.
- Photograph: This should be a recent, passport-sized photo of you.
- Certificate of language proficiency: This should be a copy of your score report from a standardized language test, such as the TOEFL or IELTS.
- CV: This should be a comprehensive CV that lists your academic and employment history, as well as any other relevant information.
- Photocopy of your passport: This should be a photocopy of the page of your passport that contains your personal information and photo.
How to Apply Guide
- Make sure you’re eligible. Check the eligibility requirements on the University of Tokyo website to see if you qualify.
- Gather your documents. You’ll need to gather all of the required documents, such as your official academic transcripts, certificate of graduation, proof of high performance, recommendation letters, photograph, certificate of language proficiency, CV, and photocopy of your passport.
- Complete the application form. You can find the application form on the University of Tokyo website. Fill it out carefully and submit it along with the required documents.
- Submit your application. You can submit your application online or by mail. The deadline for submission is October 31, 2023.